Pada Tanggal 10 Julai 2010, Tun Dr Mahathir telah menyambut Hari Jadi beliau yg ke-85. Beliau jadi PM kita selama 22 tahun beb, dari tahun 1981(aku tak lahir lagi time ni) sampai 2003. Di bawah, adalah 5 pencapaian terbesar beliau sepanjang tempoh pemerintahan tersebut.
1) Economic modernization and liberalization: During his tenure, largely agricultural Malaysia made an impressive leap into a modern economy based on manufacturing and services. While still clearly not as developed as the West, Malaysia remains the envy of Southeast Asia, perhaps second only to First World Singapore.
2) Navigating the 1997 Asian financial crisis: 1997 was a gravely tumultous period for many Asian nations. Ignoring conventional wisdom and advice from the IMF, Mahathir picked an unconventional path for the nation. The result? Malaysia emerged relatively unscathed and critics, like the IMF and World Bank, acknowledged that his approach worked.
3) The education system: As Education Minister and later Prime Minister, he was the principal architect behind today's education system. PMR (SRP) and SPM - that was all him. Because of his profound impact on the national syllabus, he basically remains the nation's headmaster.
4) Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC): Stretching from the Petronas Twin Towers to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), the MSC was an ambitious project aimed at propelling the nation into the digital age. Sure, we Malaysians may still suffer from crappy Internet speeds and unstable connections. But we're light years ahead of most of the Third World.
5) Petronas Twin Towers: True, Malaysia is more than its famous Twin Towers. But for better or worse, no other national landmark comes as close to embodying the face of Malaysia on the international stage.